What Time is it for Tanya?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

St. John's Secondary School Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

St. John Secondary School for Boys
St. John's Secondary School for boys is a government aided, non boarding school. All government aided public schools use the national language, Malay. There is a dress code for students and staff. Students may be caned for not following the dress code. Women staff members may not wear pants, sleeveless shirts, or skirts above the length of the knee. Now. It is hot here, so I found out the hard way about sleeveless shirts...no, I didn't get caned, but I am constantly reminded of my ethnocentrism or lack of awareness of cultural differences...this is an unforgettable learning experience, no doubt.

The curriculum at St. John is dictated by the Federal Territory. They have public examinations when they are 12, 15 and 17. These are essentially placement examinations to decide whether the students go to a technical college or a university. The curriculum and the teaching is centered around the public examinations.

From what I have observed, technology use and implementation is at the beginning stages. I have spent short periods in the staff room during the last two days and not a single teacher has used a computer nor do they have them at their cubicles.

I have so much more to say, but I have to speak at the morning assembly...Hodge out!

No comments: